Class of 2016 Profile: Claire Lennon Helps Ensure National Security

Name: Claire Lennon

Hometown: Springfield, Virginia

Major: Lennon graduated with a B.S. in Psychology and a B.A. in Criminal Justice on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Lennon accepted a position as a Background Investigator at CACI International, a company that provides information solutions and services in support of national security missions, in Washington, D.C. In her position, Lennon will conduct background checks to determine employment and security clearance suitability through interviews with applicants, neighbors, coworkers, friends and associates. She will also conduct record searches at law enforcement agencies, courthouses, mental health, financial and educational institutions.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me all of the resources I needed to succeed. I was constantly surrounded by professionals eager to lend a hand or assist in any way possible. The faculty in my departments were so responsive and helpful to every student’s needs and desires. My professors looked at all of us as individuals with goals and ambitions and genuinely did all in their power to help us reach our potential. HPU provided me with a culture of success as well. The positivity and pride of the university is beyond compare – so much so that it made me want to be a part of the success; to uphold the values of hard work and dedication. I was able to do so much at HPU from serving as President of Alpha Phi Omega, becoming a member of an academic honor society, working as a Resident Assistant, and so much more that I was able to fully experience HPU’s motto of an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.

Late in my spring semester of my senior year, I scheduled a time to meet up with Eric in Career and Professional Development to look over my LinkedIn profile and job searches. I didn’t really expect to get results so quickly. Eric helped me network in my desired field and got me in touch with an alumni currently working at a company I was interested in. The contact Eric led me to helped me network up the professional ladder to ultimately land myself an interview and get hired by my top choice all within 2 weeks.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Deborah Danzis. I took 3 courses with her as well as 2 semesters of research under her guidance in the psychology department. Dr. Danzis has that quirky humor that puts anyone at ease, which made me feel immediately comfortable and like we had known each other for years when we first met in her office. She really helped me during my junior year when I struggled with my post-graduate aims and where I wanted to head in the future. Dr. Danzis helped me figure out a course of what I wanted to do and let me work towards that goal with my research, mixing my fields of psychology and criminal justice together to help me clearly define a path for myself after graduation.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining Alpha Phi Omega, the national co-ed service fraternity. I was surrounded by people who turned into best friends with similar values and passions as mine. APO gave me the opportunity to give back to the community in so many different ways from assisting the elderly, to helping animals get adopted, to building homes for those in need. I was also able to travel to Honduras and Costa Rica with other members and give back on a global level, providing shelter, education and food to locals. APO showed me the boundless scope and perspective of service and left me with a burning passion to help others. I made so many memories and life-long friends through APO that I will cherish forever.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t let the resources HPU provides go to waste! They just might help you get where you want to be. You may feel that you are rock solid on your LinkedIn, resume, cover letter, or portfolio but no matter what, a second opinion never hurts – especially from a professional.

If you want something, go and get it. Jobs, internships, etc. will not be wrapped in a bow on your front step. Apply yourself and you’d be surprised at all you can accomplish with a little drive. It also helps you take initiative and hold yourself accountable for creating your own success.”