Class of 2016 Outcomes: Erika May Launches Hospitality Career

Name: Erika May

Hometown: Cary, North Carolina

Major: May graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with minors in Marketing, Event Management and Vocal Performance, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: May accepted a position as a an Event Services Voyager at the Marriott Marquis hotel in Atlanta, Georgia. The Voyage program is a management training program focused on developing the necessary leadership skills and experience for future success in hospitality. As an events voyager, May will learn the ins and outs of hosting events at a large-scale conference hotel and gain experience in all other departments to gain a better understanding of the hotel’s operations. After she completes the program, May will transition into an entry-level management position.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me so many learning opportunities and chances to get involved on campus that really helped to prepare me for the real world. One distinct moment when I really understood how much HPU had helped me was last summer. I was finishing up an internship with The Ritz-Carlton corporate office, and the VP of my department took me to dinner to thank me for all the work I had done. It was a fancy restaurant, and she was an incredibly classy woman. During dinner I was able to implement all of the etiquette tips I had learned at 1924 Prime over the years, and noticed that she did all of the same things. I felt so much more comfortable in that environment because of how prepared I was.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment that was most impactful for me while I was at HPU came a few weeks into my freshman year. I had just made it onto the cheerleading team as well as into the all-female a cappella group, The Petal Points. At that point I realized just how many opportunities there were for me at HPU and I was incredibly excited to get involved in as much as possible. Ultimately, I was able to graduate Magna Cum Laude with All University Honors all while having been a D1 Cheerleader, a member of the Chamber Singers, a member and President of The Petal Points, a statistics tutor, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, a member of Delta Mu Delta, a member of Mu Phi Epsilon, a member of The National Society of Leadership and Success, and take 18 hours a semester. I am grateful to HPU for giving me so many amazing opportunities.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest advice to all underclassmen comes in two parts. First, if you have a goal or a dream, do whatever it takes to accomplish it. Work as hard as you possibly can to make your dreams a reality. Make meaningful and tactful connections. Get internships to learn more and position yourself to succeed. Don’t have a reason to look back and think ‘If only I had done x, y and z differently…’ My second point is to make sure that through all of that hard work, you still have fun. If you are making yourself miserable doing something, don’t do it. Strive to find happiness in your life.”