Class of 2016 Profile: Jaime Durie Sells Dental Equipment

Name: Jaime Durie

Hometown: Saco, Maine

Major: Durie graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Biology, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Durie accepted a position as a Field Sales Consultant at Henry Schein Dental in Boston, Massachusetts. In her position, Durie manages business relationships in certain territories to meet the customers’ needs with business practices, merchandise, equipment, technology and service.

How HPU helped you get there: “This school is like a real-life LinkedIn. There are so many connections here through professors, career services and alumni who all are willing to help you out. The career services office and the HPU Sales Club have really helped me get to where I am now.

I started using the resources at Career and Professional Development freshman year. I was an undeclared major with no idea what I wanted to do. I began taking the assessments they have available that tell you your strengths and skills, and what major or career you may like best. It made me realize how helpful the career center is. From helping me fix up my resume and teaching me how to network, to giving me pep talks when I felt like senior year would destroy me, Bridget Holcombe continues to help me prepare for life outside HPU.”

Jaime Durie, Bridget Holcombe, Larry QuinnMost impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn and Bridget Holcombe are the best, most impactful mentors I could ask for. I cannot thank these two enough for helping me get where I am today. Not only are they helpful, but they are the most kind and caring individuals. I think 85% of the emails I’ve sent them were out of panic and distress and well after they had left the office, and yet they still would get back to me faster than expected. I know how busy these two are, but they always make time to catch up, or give me a pep talk before an interview. They are extremely knowledgable individuals and are always willing to offer advice, which I know I will be seeking well after graduation. If you haven’t met these two yet I highly suggest you do! You are guaranteed to leave any conversation with advice that will get you in the direction you want to go in, and the motivation and confidence to do so.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I would say that the most impactful moment for me was going to a sales competition with the HPU Sales Club and Professor Quinn. I am a psychology major and a biology minor, and never have taken a sales or business class in my life, but I decided that I wanted to go into the sales field. I introduced myself to the legend professor Quinn to see if he had any advice. A semester later, I joined the Sales Club and went to a sales competition in New Jersey. I ended up leaving the competition with a second interview lined up and ultimately a job offer that I have now accepted.

Advice for underclassmen: “Use every opportunity you have here at HPU. There are endless resources offered to you. The people here also offer tons of advice. One great thing about HPU is that it is small, so it is easy to talk to many of the professors and other individuals who work here. If you take the time to go meet someone, they will take the time to get to know you and help you with whatever it is. Not every school has a center for success… take advantage of it!”