Class of 2016 Outcomes: Aleyha Johnson Pursues Master’s at VCU

Name: Aleyha Johnson

Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina

Major: Johnson graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Sport Management, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Johnson will pursue her master’s in Education and Sport Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. After she earns her degree, Johnson plans to pursue a career in intercollegiate athletics as an athletic director.

How HPU helped you get there: “I had an extraordinary experience with academics. High Point University helped me figure out my career goals. I had an abundance of support and guidance from faculty and staff who motivated and pushed me to do well in and out of the classroom.

Career & Professional Development was very helpful. Through the center, I was able to make my resume perfect, figure out which graduate schools fit my interests, and make sure my personal statement was ready to impress.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Sam Phipps, Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations. I went to Sam asking if I could join his staff to work the athletic games, but in return for the past 2-3 years I gained a mentor and a friend. He guided me in the right direction and taught me life lessons in and out of the classroom. He provided me with the stepping-stone into college athletics and I thank him so much for that.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Unfortunately, I had to stop playing soccer at HPU and it was the most devastating blow to my life. It was my most impactful moment at HPU because for the next 2 years after that, I found my passion in the business side of sports as well as the confidence to do anything I desire. High Point University helped me do that.”

Advice for underclassmen: “First, build your resume. Going to class isn’t enough; intern and network with people in your field. Second, seize the moment. Take advantage of every opportunity to do something you love. Lastly, dream big. There may be times where you get discouraged but never lose sight of your goals and dreams.”