Class of 2016 Outcomes: Amanda Schrimpf Turns Internship Into Career

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Amanda Schrimpf

Hometown: Miller Place, New York

Major: Schrimpf graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Marketing on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Schrimpf accepted a position as an eCommerce Merchandising Coordinator at Puritan’s Pride in Holbrook, New York. She previously completed an internship at Puritan’s Pride last summer, and was offered a full-time position with the company after graduation. In her position, Schrimpf manages and reviews the company’s online products; promotes products and maintains gross profits; places product orders; and finds and develops new, trending vitamins and supplements.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get to where I am by not just educating me to be as a student but as a professional. Throughout my time at HPU, I have been taught more than just academics. I was taught professionalism and how to apply academic knowledge to real life: the working world. I learned how to be a professional. From learning how to dress, talk, connect, write resumes and cover letters to navigating LinkedIn, I have been able to separate myself from the crowd. In the classroom, I was taught how to present and develop marketing material that has real-world application.

I also used Career & Professional Development. I went to most of their presentations and talks, and always found them as an incredible resource for students. I used them for checking my LinkedIn and optimizing it for potential searches. More frequently, I would seek their help to develop connections and bounce around resume ideas.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Moser has had a profound impact on my academic career. He taught my first marketing class and got me hooked on the marketing department. Beyond that, his professional selling class was second to none. The class is fast paced, yet it gives you invaluable skills for a sales career and as a professional in general. I think it’s critical for any student or recent graduate to be able to effectively communicate, question and express their ideas with others.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was handing in my final marketing plan presentation. My senior spring semester was an overload of capstone marketing classes, 20 credits and a job already secured. The realization that I could create actual material for companies that are impressed with my ideas and concepts was an amazing moment for me. College goes incredibly quick – faster than the blink of an eye – and you rush through it all to the very end and it’s suddenly all over. But it’s even more extraordinary when you can look back and be proud of your accomplishments and excited for the next chapter of your life.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I always say ‘to each their own.’ You should do what you want, for you. There have been many times when I’ve drifted from my goals or compared myself to others. But it’s important to always focus on what you want for yourself. Listen to your gut instinct. Seek advice from mentors. Be critical and take the best away from the people you meet, classes, jobs, clubs and Greek organizations. See the positives and the potential in the hardest of classes and hardest of days. And you will undoubtedly be successful in all your endeavors.”