Class of 2016 Outcomes: Anne Davey Takes on DC

Name: Anne Davey

Hometown: Southold, New York

Major: Davey graduated with a B.A. in International Relations and a B.A. in Political Science, with minors in Global Commerce and Finance, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Davey accepted a position as a project manager at Financial Services Roundtable (FSR) in Washington, D.C. Within FSR, Davey works in the BITS division: the technology policy division that delivers thought leadership to address current and emerging technology and security challenges facing the nation’s largest financial institutions. As a project manager, Davey works directly on technology, cybersecurirty, fraud and fintech related issues for the nation’s top 150 financial services firms.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University prepared me for a challenging career not just academically, but professionally as well. HPU’s emphasis on experiential education provided me with unlimited opportunities to engage with professors and industry leaders in my field during my time as a student. Through a variety of internships and on campus leadership roles I honed the skills necessary to succeed professionally, and learned the importance of adding value in everything that you do.

The office of Career & Professional Development was a huge part of my time at HPU, especially during my senior year when I had the opportunity to work as part of their team serving as a Peer Career Advisor. Serving as a PCA not only gave me an opportunity to give back and work with students to help ensure success in their futures, but it also strengthened all of the critical professional skills their team teaches; from boosting my public speaking skills, to sharpening my language on resumes, to making important connections on LinkedIn and beyond, the CPD team played an important role in shaping my post-graduate possibilities.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The entire Political Science department. It is absolutely impossible to choose just one professor. Each member of the political science department brings so much enthusiasm, incredible professional experiences and a true desire to helps students succeed. Each class – from my first semester freshman year in International Relations with Dr. Sam Whitt, to my final semester in Senior Seminar with Dr. Mark Setzler – solidified my passion for political science and instilled in me a desire to be part of the global political dialogue. Dr. Martin Kifer is far and away one of the hardest working professors I’ve ever encountered, and being advised by Dr. Ali Yanus made me constantly aspire to more. They opened doors and showed all of us as students that the possibilities for a career in political science or international relations were endless, and that with hard work we could succeed in those challenging environments. Each member of the department added so much value, above and beyond the core work of the classroom. I’m beyond thankful for their guidance, knowledge and encouragement.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Though I didn’t realize it at the time, becoming president of my sorority, Kappa Delta. There is no better test of time management or leadership skills than running a 200+ person organization of such inspiring, hard working and fun women. Serving as president was both the most challenging and most rewarding experience of my undergraduate career. It really helped me to shape some of the core skills that are invaluable in the workplace, and has provided me with so many incredible friends and opportunities. I grew a lot as a person along the way.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Have goals and actively work to achieve them. The most incredible thing about High Point is all of the opportunity; along with that comes the real belief that nothing is impossible. Having goals, actively seeking out opportunities that will help you get there, saying yes to chances, forming relationships with peers, professors and staff, and getting involved with clubs and organizations is the best way to maximize your time at HPU. Just don’t forget to have fun – it flies by!”