Class of 2016 Outcomes: Emily Beilman Selected for Management Development Program

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Emily Beilman

Hometown: Buffalo, New York

Major: Beilman graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Accounting, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Beilman accepted a position as Financial Controller within the Management Development Program at M&T Bank in Buffalo, New York. The Management Development Program is a year-long program designed to develop communication, leadership and finance skills with direct-position-placement. As a Financial Controller, Beilman conducts research relating to peers, accounting standards and regulatory requirements; assists with periodic reporting to senior management and the Board of Directors; and monitors changes in M&T’s financial statements.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me prepare for my future by never letting me be satisfied with just ‘average.’ Whether it was in the classroom, at my internship or working with the Office of Student Life, I always felt like I had the support and resources to reach even further toward my goals. You’re surrounded by extraordinary places, people and experiences everyday that it becomes second-nature to work hard and never settle.

I utilized Career and Professional Development all four years. From setting up a profile and learning how to use LinkedIn my freshman year, to practicing phone interviews senior year and everything in between, I was always confident when presenting to potential employers.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Jo Lacy. I credited one of her finance classes for the Honors-Scholar program and I was challenged to look beyond a textbook, instead using current events and real companies to better understand the financial world.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was when I changed my minor at the end of sophomore year. I always thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do after college, but after two years I realized my mindset and goals had shifted to another career path and now I know it was the right choice.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Always follow what you’re passionate about, even if it wasn’t part of your original plan. HPU has so many different clubs, programs and resources that you can utilize. If someone would’ve told freshman me that in four years I was going to working in a competitive financial management program with a top North-Eastern bank, I would’ve thought they were crazy; but I grew into the best version of myself at High Point.