Class of 2016 Outcomes: Jessie Drew Counsels in Rhode Island

Name: Jessie Drew

Hometown: Coventry, Rhode Island

Major: Drew graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Spanish, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Drew accepted a position as a Milieu Counselor at Family Service of Rhode Island in Providence, Rhode Island. In her position, Drew provides guidance and supervision of children/adolescents in a residential Family Services setting. She helps the residents make decisions about daily life, conduct and discipline, and is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of Trauma Systems Therapy (TST) in a social setting.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me to be successful in so many ways. Mentors provided me with the ability to find my passion and develop it. The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Works gave me an opportunity to create and run my own 3-year research project (entitled “The Effects of Narrative Medicine on Dementia Patients”) which allowed me to travel to several research conferences and present my data. My experience also helped me to get into graduate school.

My professors, especially in psychology, were committed to enhancing my education. They were constantly making time to meet, staying after class to clarify material and making me aware of opportunities to get involved.

I used Career and Professional Development during my sophomore year. Eric Melniczek helped me to get an internship back home, which I kept for three summers.

Jessie Drew - Pennybyrn

In 2014, Drew took professor Allison Walker’s “Narrative Medicine in Action” course. The class then led to a three-year research project Drew conducted, with Walker as her mentor.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was professor Allison Walker. I took her service learning “Narrative Medicine” class during my sophomore year. She was, and is, by far the most engaging and passionate professor I had the pleasure of learning from at HPU. She allowed me to continue with the material I was interested in, by creating and developing the research project that I conducted until my senior year. Allison Walker worked closely with me throughout the process of applying to graduate school. She always answered my emails, no matter the time or the day of the week, in order to help me accomplish my goals. Above all, she pushed me to push myself. She helped me apply to 3 research conferences, all of which I was accepted to. I am so grateful to have taken her class sophomore year, I even took another class of hers sophomore year as an elective.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU also had to do with Professor Walker. I had a poem I wrote for her class published in Apogee Magazine. I submitted it for class work and Professor Walker saw the potential and submitted it on my behalf. I would not be a published poet without her help. Even after graduation, Mrs. Walker encouraged me to publish work that I have done regarding my research.”

Advice for underclassmen: “It is so important to get involved. Even if it as simple as sharing your goals, concerns or plans with a professor, they can offer you insight and provide you with opportunities to get experience and connections to someone who can help if they cant. There is not one faculty at HPU who is not willing to help. Another piece of advice: Take at least one service learning course, even though they involve extra time and work. They are amazing!”