Class of 2016 Profile: Lauren Rubenstein Attends Grad School

Name: Lauren Rubenstein

Hometown: Commack, New York

Major: Rubenstein graduated with a B.S. in Psychology and a B.A. in Criminal Justice, with minors in Statistics and Spanish, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Rubenstein will pursue her master’s in Forensic Psychology at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. After she receives her degree, Rubenstein plans to pursue her doctorate and become a psychologist within the federal prison system.

How HPU helped you get there: “The opportunities I had at HPU really helped me stand out from other candidates while applying for graduate school. I was able to spend a semester with the High Point Washington program where I interned full-time for an entire semester with the Metropolitan Police Department. I was also able to conduct my own undergraduate research and go on to present my findings at a national conference. Not many undergraduate students are given those opportunities.

I utilized Career & Professional Development a lot while I was applying for graduate school. They helped me revise my Curriculum Vitae, personal statement, and even helped me prepare for the interview process with a mock interview.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had a lot of great faculty members who helped me during my time at HPU, but I would have to say the most impactful mentor was my advisor, Dr. Jana Spain. She always helped me stay on my target of graduating in four years with two degrees and two minors, and she constantly gave me crucial advice in order to prepare myself and my resume for graduate school and eventually a career in psychology.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was during my service learning class. We would go to the local High Point Jail every Friday afternoon and teach a life-skills class to the inmates. We were able to learn so much from them, and that experience really solidified my interest in working as a psychologist in the prison system.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to get involved and take as many opportunities as possible. There are so many opportunities HPU provides for its students, whether it is study abroad or undergraduate research or internships, and those opportunities are what really make you stand out from other graduates and give you an advantage either in the workforce or in graduate school.”