Class of 2016 Outcomes: Meg Rice Teaches at Montlieu

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Meg Rice

Hometown: Wall, New Jersey

Major: Rice graduated with a license in Special Education: General Curriculum (K-12) on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Rice accepted a position as an Exceptional Children Teacher for 3rd through 5th grade at Montlieu Academy of Technology in High Point. In her position, Rice will help students with their academic and behavioral goals.

How HPU helped you get there: “The Special Education Department is a very tight knit group and the professors really got to know me, therefore placing me with cooperating teachers who they felt I would work well with. Senior year I was placed at Allen Jay Preparatory Academy for student teaching with the most amazing cooperating teacher Ms. Danielle Carter. I was able to complete my student teaching and was a long term substitute until the end of the school year giving me teaching experience starting the Monday after graduation. Working with a staff like the one at Allen Jay Prep I truly learned from the best and they challenged me to be the best teacher I could be. I even had the opportunity to meet the Governor of North Carolina who told my cooperating teacher and I that ‘we would always have a special bond.’ At the end of the year, my cooperating teacher was the one who gave Montlieu Academy my name and recommended me for the position, which happened to be her old position.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Sarah Vess, my academic advisor, and Ms. Teresa Owens, my student teaching advisor, both played a major role during my time at High Point University. They both embraced every opportunity I received, helped celebrate victories and coached me through the more difficult times. They truly cared about me as their student, a future teacher and as a person.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I received an email one afternoon from Ms. Owens and Dr. Vess asking if I was interested in going to The Ron Clark Academy, which is something before then I could have only dreamed of. Going to The Ron Clark Academy was a life changing experience and completely changed my views on what teaching can be. Seeing that in person made me excited about the teacher I want to be and I would have never had that opportunity if it was not for High Point.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Do what you love and give it everything you have. Don’t be afraid to be passionate about whatever you choose to do, that’s what makes you exciting and that’s what people notice.