Class of 2016 Outcomes: Rianna Riveros Sets Her Sights on Counseling

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Rianna Riveros

Hometown: Carlstadt, New Jersey

Major: Riveros graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Sociology, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Riveros will pursue her master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Montclair State University in Montclair, New Jersey. After she receives her degree, Riveros plans to pursue a career in child and family counseling with an ultimate goal of helping children in under-privileged areas realize their potential and help them through the obstacles in their life to reach their long-term goals.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point has not only provided me with the education needed to succeed in my future endeavors but has provided me with real-life opportunities. Being part of an educational community – which prides itself on not only academics but internship and research opportunities – is why I was fortunate to have the opportunity to choose between all the schools that I applied to. I am so thankful to have attended a school that treats every student as an individual instead of just a number.

I visited the Career and Professional Development office for the first time in September of my senior year. With all of my graduate school application deadlines coming up soon I needed to polish my resume, CV and personal statements for each school. I was set up with Elizabeth Walker and I had never been more thankful. She was there to answer any and all questions I had about the process. She went above and beyond to make sure everything I sent in was the best work.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Throughout my four years at HPU I was able to meet an outstanding number of faculty and although they are all great, Dr. Christopher Lootens was the most influential professor I had the chance to get to know. Dr. Lootens went above and beyond in helping me find an internship that fit my exact needs. He secured me an absolutely amazing internship where I was able to hold counseling sessions with the same five cadets weekly, co-lead group counseling sessions on topics such as relationships and coping skills, and learn how to do psychosocial intakes on new clients. Not only was he the reason behind my amazing internship, but he gave me the opportunity to work as his research assistant where I was able to expand my research knowledge.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU was the last day of my internship. After developing rapport with my cadets throughout the semester, one said to me, ‘Thank you for showing me that I am worthy of love and can achieve anything I put my mind to.’ This exact moment was when I knew that if in just a few short months I could impact this young girl’s life for the better, I could do the same for many more children in my future years as a counselor.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Obtain as much internship experience as possible! Internships are incredible tools to helping you expand your knowledge as well as just gaining experience in the professional world.”