Class of 2016 Outcomes: Sarah Carr Oversees Residents in Raleigh

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Sarah Carr

Hometown: Hendersonville, North Carolina

Major: Carr graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Carr accepted a position as a Residence Director at Meredith College in Raleigh. In her position, Carr provides residents with professional guidance and supervision in a living-learning environment as they develop during their time at the college. She also supervises, trains and evaluates a staff of Resident Assistants, and conducts community building, crisis management responses and on-call duty rotations for the campus.

How HPU helped you get there: “I was fortune enough to be hired as a Resident Assistant starting in January 2013, the second semester of my freshman year. I was not quite sure what I wanted to do as a career but with the help of the Office of Student Life I was able to determine that my ultimate goal is to achieve my Masters in Student Affairs and become Dean of Students or President of Student Life for a college or university. High Point University offers so many wonderful work-study positions and internships that are so useful in keeping a person focused and grounded while attending High Point. My position through OSL helped me achieve my goal of getting a position within Student Affairs to be able to work my way up in the department.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The Office of Student Life was full of so many positive mentors who helped create a path for me while attending High Point University as well as paving a path for  life after High Point. One individual in particular, Taylor Symons, was a very important role model during my junior and senior year at High Point. Taylor was my supervisor as my Resident Director in my role as Assistant Resident Director and also oversaw aspects of my positions through Alpha Chi Omega as the Assistant Director of Greek Life. Taylor took the time to get to know his students and serve his students through his continuous support, encouragement, and his expertise regarding Greek Life.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful year for me was my time serving as Chapter President of Alpha Chi Omega from 2014-2015. I was able to work with so many wonderful student leaders and professionals on campus who were supportive and genuinely cared about the success of our chapter. The most impactful moment was when our chapter was awarded Sorority of the Year for the 2015 school year. I was extremely proud of the sisters in our chapter for working so hard during the Spring and Fall of 2015 to achieve the award.”

Advice for underclassmen: “You need to treat everyone you meet with kindness and compassion. You never know what is happening in an individual’s life and it is important that you show kindness and love to all.