Kate Spade & Company Selects Senior for Summer Internship

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 11, 2016 – High Point University rising senior Meredith Matsakis is working closely with Kate Spade & Company’s visual merchandising team during her summer internship with the popular designer brand.

The Asheville native and visual merchandising major is gaining valuable experience for her future while creating and implementing merchandising strategies for the company. This includes working with the visual and marketing teams to digitally render displays used domestically and internationally.

“My job is to assist the visual team in planning, implementing and executing the visual directives to make sure that whatever we put in the windows or the store floor will sell,” says Matsakis. “Kate Spade is an internationally known brand with a great history. I truly feel grateful to be working here this summer.”

Based at Kate Spade’s headquarters on Park Avenue in New York City, Matsakis is the only visual merchandising intern. This has afforded her numerous opportunities to shine, which include executing displays for Macy’s and Lord & Taylor in Manhattan.

“It’s an interesting experience because we head to the store early in the morning and only have a limited amount of time to finish the setup,” she says. “In the coming weeks, I am planning to help execute the floor sets for our Short Hills store in New Jersey and our stores in Manhattan. Working for a company that puts that type of trust in an intern is very rare and rewarding.”

With the goal of joining a high-end retail company after graduation, Matsakis is appreciative of the chance to learn both the corporate and design aspects of the business.

“I am learning some of the fundamental skills of working in a corporate office while still being allowed creative liberties in design,” she says. “The whole visual team has been nothing but supportive, and I am truly thankful to be surrounded by such amazing people.”

Matsakis, who is a Celia Moh Scholar and founding president of the International Interior Design Association at HPU, credits the university with helping her succeed by preparing her to work in a fast-paced environment.

“Our projects in the design department really advance our technical skills while also focusing heavily on the presentation of the design,” Matsakis says. “I feel as though I have the confidence to execute my tasks effectively and present them professionally because of the experience I’ve gained from HPU.”