Student Fashions Future Career at Cosmopolitan-Seventeen Magazine

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 6, 2016 – Mallory Janszen, rising senior and journalism major at High Point University, is gaining valuable editorial skills and mentorship as an intern this summer at Cosmopolitan/Seventeen magazine in New York City.

Janszen, a student from Lewis Center, Ohio, has presented her own column idea that will soon be featured in the magazine, while also working for the “beauty closet” the magazines share. She’s been given the unique opportunity to shadow Editor-in-Chief Joanna Coles as she interns this summer.

Her daily role responsibilities also include processing public relations requests, assisting in photo shoots, organizing beauty products and attending events displaying new fashion and beauty collections. With aspirations in journalism, Janszen has found these experiences incredibly beneficial for her future.

“My goal is to one day be an editor in a print media publication such as this one,” Janszen says. “I was given a mentor here at Cosmo who is helping me prepare to land a job hopefully at this magazine one day. This internship has been unforgettable and has truly assured me that this is the career environment I want to be in.”

Going into her internship, Janszen was ready to practice the time management, interpersonal communication and organization skills needed to be successful thanks to the firm foundation she’s received at HPU.
Mallory Janszen - Cosmo Seventeen
“HPU has prepared me to always go above and beyond what is expected,” says Janszen, “As I enter this competitive and often intimidating field, I feel comfortable and confident. HPU has really made me believe in myself, and I strive to stand out just as my professors have taught me.”