Student Garners Career Leads at Oxo Internship in NYC

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 8, 2016 – High Point University rising sophomore Sarah Simkins was selected to intern with the cooking tools and housewares company Oxo in New York City this summer.

Simkins, a native of Smithtown, New York, is a sales and marketing intern at the company. She helps the company’s domestic sales team grow business by analyzing sales materials, collecting market data and responding to customer needs and requests.

New York City is a diverse and bustling place, and Simkins says that Oxo’s headquarters is no exception. Her job connects her with people across the globe, including Oxo’s offices in the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany.

“The most interesting part of my job is meeting people from all over the world,” says Simkins. “It’s interesting to walk into a meeting and talk on the phone with people from other areas of the U.S. as well as global partners.”

Simkins thanks professors and staff at HPU for helping her find success in her internship. Professors Jim Scott and Akir Khan specifically have served as inspirations and role models for her.

“Both professors have taught me to dream big, and I am forever grateful for that,” she says.

Simkins’s dreams are, in fact, big − she hopes to someday use her strategic communication major to find a job in public relations or sales in the music industry. As she’s taking on the challenges of working in such a competitive field, HPU’s call to action for students to “be extraordinary,” has garnered special significance.

“HPU has taught me to truly believe in myself,” says Simkins. “After my first year at High Point, I have learned if you want something there is always a way to make it happen.”