Class of 2016 Outcomes: Gwena Pitt Promotes Santa Cruz Warriors

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Gwena Pitt

Hometown: Saint Petersburg, Florida

Major: Pitt graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Graphic Design, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Pitt accepted a position as a Marketing Specialist / Graphic Designer for the Santa Cruz Warriors, a D-league team of the Golden State Warriors in California. In her position, Pitt manages and designs content for the social media sites, website and emails, assists with photo shoots, works with sponsors to create arena signage and promotional items, and develops integrated promotional strategies to achieve revenue goals for various sales departments.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University was my safe place that allowed me to feel at home and shape myself into who I want to become. I believe balance is such an important thing in life, and HPU really gave that to me. I had access to an amazing education, great people, on-campus employment, free adventures provided by the school, and so many educational opportunities. With Nido Qubein’s motivational speeches and the holistic approach to education I felt ready to conquer the world post grad.

I attended the career fairs throughout my four years and met with the career services office my senior year.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had no clue I would end up in the marketing/graphic design world, but my sophomore year I took two graphic design classes with Janis Dougherty, and my mind was made up. I started to wander toward the more creative side of my business major and took more marketing classes and changed my minor from Spanish to graphic design. Janis is not just an amazing teacher and designer; she is a mentor. She pushed me to think outside of my comfort zone and taught me more about graphic design than I had ever known. She gave us creative projects that were not just assignments, but projects to help give us design experience for our future careers. After my two classes with her, I continued to ask her for advice and she was always there with open arms and a smile when I needed her.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Getting elected to be the fellowship vice president of Alpha Phi Omega my senior year was a really amazing experience for me. I got to be a leader in this amazing organization that I had been a part of since my freshman year. The people and their commitment to serving others in APO is inspiring, so to be a leader among them was truly wonderful.

Advice for underclassmen: Study abroad! If you are scared of leaving and being alone, think of it as a four-month vacation and approach everything you do with an optimistic attitude. Challenging myself by going to live in Seville, Spain, for four months was the best decision of my life. I was definitely culture shocked, but in the most amazing way possible. I learned so much about the world and people around me. I also gained a confidence and maturity I didn’t know I had before. I met one of my lifelong best friends there and became more fluent in Spanish.

Also, keep as many doors open as possible and to put yourself out there. Find what you are interested in and get involved. Build up your resume and make connections. Networking is so important and you never know who may be able to help you out in the future.”