Class of 2016 Outcomes: Hattie Dougherty Teaches at Florence Elementary

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Hattie Dougherty

Hometown: Smithfield, North Carolina

Major: Dougherty graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Dougherty accepted a position as a fourth grade teacher at Florence Elementary in High Point. While teaching, she will also be working toward her master’s degree from HPU in Elementary Education with a concentration in STEM.

How HPU helped you get there: “I actually had the opportunity to intern at Florence Elementary my junior year as a part of two of my education classes. This internship helped me to build relationships with two of the teachers at the school, one of which will actually serve as my mentor this upcoming year. In my senior year at HPU, I student taught at Southwest Elementary school where I built my relationship with many staff members there including the principal, Dr. Muller. Midway through the summer when Dr. Muller found out I had not secured a position for the upcoming school year, he spoke with one of his friends who needed a fourth grade teacher. Dr. Muller helped me to secure an interview at Florence which eventually led to my hiring.

Aside from connections made through classes at HPU, my experience at HPU helped significantly during my interviews.  Having experienced a mock interview session with local principals through HPU’s School of Education, I felt prepared upon entering my interviews. Often, the reputation of the education program at HPU preceded me, giving me an advantage because the interviewers knew other HPU graduates who have become extremely successful teachers.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “During my undergraduate studies, Mrs. Debbie Albert helped shape me into the teacher I am today. Mrs. Albert advised me through student teaching, giving me constructive criticism to help me grow as a teacher. She was always available to meet outside of class time not only to discuss in class projects, but also my life outside of the classroom. She was always an email or phone call away, and I know that she will continue to be in my life as I strive to become an educator who makes as much of a difference in the lives of those I teach as she has in me.

Hattie Dougherty - Study AbroadMost impactful moment at HPU: “There are so many moments that impacted me while at HPU, but one of my favorite experiences was studying abroad. I spent a semester in London, England and had an unforgettable time. After returning, I became an international ambassador which led to me working for the study abroad office. Studying abroad helped me to grow in my confidence and my knowledge of the world and all the different kinds of people who live in it.

Advice for underclassmen: “Make the most of your time at HPU and do not be afraid to try new things. Build relationships with your peers as well as your professors and other staff members because those relationships will be what you treasure when you leave.