Class of 2016 Outcomes: Nicole Forman Communicates for School District

Nicole Forman

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Nicole Forman

Hometown: Framingham, Massachusetts

Major: Forman graduated with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Journalism, and a B.A. in Women’s and Gender Studies on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Forman accepted a position as the Communications Coordinator for the Blackstone Valley Vocational Regional School District in Upton, Massachusetts. In her position, Forman disseminates timely and accurate information about the school system and its graduates to the media. She also works to maintain and advance the reputation of Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School in the surrounding area.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me to get where I am now by giving me both theoretical and practical experience. I love that I have an all-encompassing understanding of the way communications works, and can also communicate effectively through writing and speech. HPU also gave me the tools to be able to work on multiple different projects because of the way we were taught to use every technology present and available to us.

I was a regular in the Career and Professional Development office throughout my senior year. I worked with the staff to develop a resume and cover letter that showed off my best assets and continuously reworked my LinkedIn account to get the most out of my connections. Doug Hall really helped me figure out what I wanted to do after graduation, and helped me to find job listings that matched me career goals.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I was lucky to find not one, but two amazing mentors at HPU. Dr. Bobby Hayes was my biggest cheerleader beginning my freshman year. He was always pushing me to create better writings, and not give up on my dreams. He also taught me to never settle for less than the best, and was a great support through all of life’s trials and tribulations. My second mentor was Dr. Jenn Brandt in the Women’s and Gender Studies department. She was constantly challenging me to think differently and gave me so many opportunities to discover new things. I can never thank either of them enough for pushing me every day to be better than I was.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One of the most impactful moments of my HPU career was being named a Junior Marshal for the Class of 2015’s graduation. It had been my goal since freshman year and it was so exciting to see all my hard work pay off.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Find a mentor and talk to them frequently and freely. It’s important to realize that you and your professors both have passions outside of the classroom. Dr. Hayes and I would talk about football almost every week. It gave us a level of respect and friendship that allowed me to feel comfortable talking to him about my fears while trying to find a job, and my frustration in trying to do different projects. I encourage all underclassmen to find a mentor and support system and nurture that relationship.