Freshman Profile: Ahead of the Curve

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Elena Lewis, one member of the Class of 2020, brings with her many accolades and achievements in speech and debate. Below, discover how she plans to make the most out of her time at HPU: 

Name: Elena Lewis

Hometown: North Canton, Ohio

High school attended: North Canton Hoover High School in North Canton, Ohio

Accomplishments: In high school, Lewis was the president of the Student Council Club, Speech and Debate team, ASL Club and Leadership Interact Club. She is also a two-time state runner-up in Speech and Debate, as well as a national qualifier in Program Oral Interpretation. She was named the Canton Repository Newspaper’s 2016 May Teen of the Month and the 2016 Teen of the Year, and received the Repository’s Youth Leadership Award for raising $2,000 for the Pathway Caring for Children charity. Lewis also runs a fashion blog called “Blueyes.”

MajorBusiness Marketing & Entrepreneurship

Why you chose HPU: “I came to see the school for the first time during Presidential Scholars Weekend, and along with the campus being absolutely gorgeous, the main thing that sold me on the school was President Qubein. When I listened to him speak I felt that the school matched my work ethic, values and goals, and even more so, was inspiring me to go out and make something of myself. When a school can do that, I believe that is something very special.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am really looking forward to meeting new people who may have the same interests as me, as well as starting classes in the business school and learning more about what I hope to be my future career. I can’t wait to join clubs such as Sales and SGA, and start an ASL Club as well!”