Freshman Profile: A Future in Physics

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Zack Hutchens joins the Class of 2020 with a wealth of experience already under his belt. Below, discover how he plans to launch a successful career in the sciences, starting with an extraordinary education at HPU: 

Name: Zack Hutchens

Hometown: Thomasville, North Carolina

High school attended: Davidson Early College High School in Thomasville, North Carolina

Accomplishments: Hutchens attended a dual-enrollment high school located on the campus of Davidson County Community College, which is about a twenty-minute drive from the HPU campus. Through the program, he was able to earn two Associate’s degrees. He competed in the North Carolina Science Fair multiple times, and is currently working with a research program funded by the National Science Foundation at Texas A&M University-Commerce in Dallas. He also frequently volunteers at High Point Regional Hospital, where he has served approximately 500 hours.

MajorPhysics & Mathematics

Why you chose HPU: “I knew that I wanted to major in physics for a very long time, and I was torn between attending High Point and NC State University. Last fall, I was able to volunteer at the physics department’s annual HPUniverse Day, where we have outreach physics demos for children. That night, I was able to experience the deep community within the physics department, and I realized I would never have that at a large school like NCSU.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I’m mostly just excited to start classes. I love school, I love to learn, and I know that my HPU classes have a lot in store for me this year. I’m also excited to meet new friends and get to know people on campus.”