Senior Explores Fashion Industry with Ralph Lauren

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 19, 2016 – As a summer intern with Ralph Lauren, High Point University senior Alexis Lee went behind the scenes of New York fashion, learned what it takes to produce a clothing line, and even had a face-to-face meeting with Ralph Lauren himself.

Lee, a Greensboro native, was one of 40 students selected for the Ralph Lauren summer internship program, which provides students with relevant experience by making them responsible for real-world tasks. Lee found the internship through HPU’s Office of Career and Professional Development. With the aid and encouragement of Career Counselor Doug Hall, she applied and was selected from a pool of more than 3,500 applicants.

Throughout the summer, she worked as a planning specialty sales intern in the men’s clothing department, where she created a visual reference for the upcoming season of Polo apparel and saw the clothes before they are released to the rest of the world.

She also was responsible for completing references and documents to share at meetings with other Ralph Lauren employees. She said those meetings were a valuable part of the experience, because she was able to contribute her own thoughts and ideas.

“I am able to speak and what I say is actually taken into consideration,” Lee says. “This makes me really feel like a part of the team.”

Alexis LeeLee even got the opportunity to speak with Ralph Lauren himself, whom she met briefly. That encounter was just one of many unique opportunities that gave Lee the full New York experience.

Once she graduates from HPU with a degree in international business, Lee hopes to find a future in planning or buying with a company like Ralph Lauren.

“HPU gave me the foundation to stand out and excel in life,” she says. “I have learned so much in and out of the classroom, and I am now putting my knowledge to use and making sense of it through experience. I love interning here and would love to work here in the future.”