Senior Interns with NASCAR Team and Charlotte Motor Speedway

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 18, 2016 – High Point University Senior Michael Rossi explored the world of motor sports through two internships this summer, one with NASCAR team Richard Childress Racing, and one with Charlotte Motor Speedway.

The Pennington, New Jersey, native and business administration major worked with several different departments at RCR and was a corporate sales intern at the speedway. These experiences helped him gain a unique perspective of NASCAR by working for a championship winning team and one of the most famous and storied tracks on the NASCAR circuit.

“I grew up watching NASCAR, and it’s been my dream since I was 10 years old to work in the sport,” says Rossi. “To realize this dream this summer is incredible.”

The experience he has gained at these internships is already paying off. One of his managers at Charlotte Motor Speedway has invited him to work with the Carolina Panthers in the fall in the guest relations department.

Rossi learned about the internship at Richard Childress racing from Alex Mills, class of 2015, who interned with the team in the summer of 2014.

“I saw the news on the High Point page and contacted him explaining how I wanted to break into the industry like he did,” Rossi says. ”He introduced me to the team and helped me prepare for the internship. Looking back, it’s incredible how reaching out led to me having these incredible experiences this summer and to having a life-long friend.”

With the goal of working for a NASCAR team after graduation, Rossi is appreciative of the experiences he has had at HPU.

“I’ve had an incredible three years at HPU. The people I’ve met, the opportunities I’ve had, and the support I have received along the way has been amazing,” he says. “From my freshman success coach helping me land my first opportunity managing the High Point hockey team, to Career Services sitting in countless meetings with me preparing for interviews, I could not be more thankful for all High Point has enabled me to do. Along with my incredibly supportive friends and family, the education I have received at HPU, both inside the classroom and out, has set me up for a successful career.”