Student Interns with Major Reinsurance Company

Shiloh Barry - JLT ReHIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 22, 2016 – High Point University senior Shiloh Barry’s internship kept her in the Triad this summer. Within the short drive from campus, she found herself working for a major account at one of the largest reinsurance companies in the world.

Barry, a business administration major from San Antonio, Texas, was a brokerage intern for JLT Re’s local office in Whitsett. From the beginning of her internship, she dived right into working closely with the company’s executive vice president finalizing an important contract renewal.

“I was allowed to struggle and try to figure things out on my own before asking for help,” Barry says. “It is the best way to learn.”

Barry gained first-hand experience with reinsurance contracts/terms, catastrophe modeling, claims and accounting. She also assisted brokerage teams in property/casualty reinsurance placements and learned how actuaries assist in the reinsurance pricing process. This included interacting with both clients and reinsurers.

“HPU has taught me to never back down,” says Barry. “Walking into this internship, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have never dealt with brokerage, but after a week and a half I was comfortable handling items on my own.”

As Barry looks forward to pursuing a career in corporate leadership, she gives HPU the credit for preparing her to tackle new responsibilities.

“If it weren’t for the professors pushing us and taking us outside our comfort zone, I don’t think I would have succeeded,” she says. “I am constantly learning and overcoming new obstacles. I have grown as a person and as a businesswoman during these short three months.”