Students Gain Finance, Sales Experience at ScanSource Internship

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 2, 2016 – Two High Point University students gained valuable business experience during their summer internships at the worldwide headquarters for ScanSource in Greenville, South Carolina. They each made important contributions while advising the finances and sales of the company, which is an international distributor of point-of-sale, barcode, physical security, video, voice and data networking products.

Jack Twomey, a senior business administration major from Greenville, was a financial planning and analysis professional intern. He provided management with daily sales reports on several business units. This required him to interpret sales and expense numbers – an experience that has influenced him to pursue a career in finance. He also had the opportunity to present a project to all of the company’s global executives and hundreds of other employees at the conclusion of his internship.

“My courses at High Point University helped me have the confidence and knowledge to succeed in this internship,” Twomey says. “My financial management class prepared me for my day-to-day duties, and business communication made my final presentation much less stressful in front of such important people.”

Garrett Woodward, a senior business administration major from The Woodlands, Texas, spent the summer as a sales manager assistant with the company. He worked with clients on identifying products to best suit their needs and conducted research to help management track prospective clients for future business.

“My classes at High Point University not only gave me the tools but the confidence to be successful in a professional business setting,” says Woodward. “Courses like my business management class truly prepared me to speak in a formal setting, especially in front of a large audience. My marketing and sales classes also played a huge role in me being able to not only sell our products but myself as well to our customers.”