Class of 2016 Outcomes: Angie Ziolkowski Secures Position with Scott Safety

Angie Ziolkowski

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Angie Ziolkowski

Hometown: Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania

Major: Ziolkowski graduated with a B.S.B.A. in International Business and a B.A. in Spanish on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Ziolkowski accepted a position as a Staff Accountant at Scott Safety, a Johnson Controls company, in Monroe, North Carolina. In her position, Ziolkowski serves as a liaison between different departments at the company’s corporate office. Her responsibilities include monthly forecasting, reports for various locations, revenue recognition analysis, third party rep commissions, government grant submission processes, and monthly and year-end close processes.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get where I am today by providing me with a clear vision of what I want to achieve and the mindset that I can achieve and surpass my goals. We are fortunate enough to be able to look to our president, Dr. Nido Qubein, as a prime example that with hard work and a future-focused outlook, you can achieve success in any endeavor big or small. I truly believe that attending High Point University in an environment that fosters academic and personal growth and promotes creative thinking is the reason I was able to get a job with a large global company where I can utilize my international business degree and accounting knowledge.

I used Career & Professional Development as a tool to make connections and start my job search. Eric Melniczek helped me with my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. He also gave me tips on how to conduct myself in a professional manner during interviews and business meetings.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Hayden Carron. Dr. Carron is the director of the Spanish program at HPU as well as a Spanish professor. He helped me prepare for my semester abroad by counseling me on what courses to take, explaining cultural norms and giving me advice on how to balance my studies with my leisure time while abroad. His laid-back attitude in the classroom helped to make his courses enjoyable to take even though he has high expectations for his students. Dr. Carron’s belief in me and my potential as a student was a motivator for me to do my best and not to give up even when it seemed as though I would never master the Spanish culture and language. My skills will continue to improve as I move forward in my career, and I am thankful to Dr. Carron for giving me a good foundation to help me get to this point.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my semester studying abroad in Seville, Spain. Through HPU partner program SAIIE, I was able to spend the spring semester of my junior year living with a host family and really experiencing the full language and cultural immersion. I was also able to travel extensively during this time, which gave me a more global perspective that I then utilized in my Spanish and international business coursework as well as outside of the classroom.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Not all learning takes place in the classroom! Don’t be afraid to engage in different classes, activities, groups and organizations to find out what it is you really enjoy. Get involved with something that you’re passionate about – whether it be related to your major, a sport’s team or a service organization. This will help you develop connections and friendships with people who share your interests and passions. I would also advize underclassmen to take advantage of the HPU experience: Study abroad, complete an internship, attend a lecture series, or join a service organization. Being surrounded by professors, faculty, staff and university leaders who encourage HPU’s students to test their limits and achieve more than they ever thought possible is what students will take with them after they graduate and what will lead to future success.”