Class of 2016 Outcomes: Marina Kyte Launches Interior Design Career

Marina Kyte

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Marina Kyte

Hometown: Sarasota, Florida

Major: Kyte graduated with a B.S. in Interior Design on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Kyte accepted a position as an Interior Designer I at K2M Design in Charlotte, North Carolina. In her position, Kyte works closely with architects and interior designers on a wide variety of hospitality projects throughout the country. She creates AutoCAD and Revit drawings (including floor plans, elevations and ceiling plans), renderings, assists with construction documents and selects furniture, finishes and equipment for hotels and restaurants.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has a very rigorous interior design program where students work under strict deadlines, quality standards and high expectations. The small class sizes within the program made my professors very accessible and they were available to provide one-on-one attention whenever needed, which was very crucial to my project’s and my personal success. Because of the amount of time I spent in the studio and the countless hours I worked on projects, I learned the importance of adaptability, time management and the value of dedication. Within HPU’s CIDA accredited program, I completed specialized courses in design programming, design communication, building technology and art history, just to name a few. The variety of required courses prepares students and gives them the opportunity to join the many different facets and career paths within the design industry.

As a student at HPU, I had the opportunity to work at the High Point Furniture Market throughout my 4 years. Working in the furniture showrooms gave me experience in providing customer service to the design industry and allowed me to network with esteemed design professionals. These real-world experiences that HPMKT offers allows students to become comfortable working as part of a production team in such a fast-paced setting and it is an impressive resume-builder as well.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Mr. John Linn, was, and still is, my most impactful mentor. He was my professor and academic advisor for three years, and taught some of the most challenging and rewarding studio classes within the interior design program. His teaching style and lessons make you think on a totally different level, which helps you discover ideas and solutions you didn’t even know you had. He challenges you because he knows what you’re capable of and truly wants to see you excel. At the end of each semester with him, I had pride in my work and was excited to present to my class and put the projects in my portfolio.

Even after graduation had passed, I called Mr. Linn for advice on which job offer I should accept. Although it was syllabus week and he had new students and classes to prepare for, he took time out of his busy schedule to work and talk things through with me. Mr. Linn always offers a fresh perspective and is willing to dedicate his time to ensure his design student’s success even after their 4 years at HPU have ended.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The spring semester of my junior year, I studied abroad in Florence, Italy with 14 of my fellow Interior Design majors. I learned so much about myself and the world in those 6 months living abroad. Not only was it the first time I had ever been to Europe, but I got to visit 14 countries and 48 cities while there. I am forever grateful I had the opportunity and experience of studying and living in one of the most beautiful places in the world. HPU Study Abroad offers a variety fantastic opportunities, and I loved working with The Office of Study Abroad as an International Ambassador, encouraging current and future students to apply for the experience of a lifetime.”

Advice for underclassmen: Internships are crucial to landing a job that aligns with your interests and career goals. Having relevant experience on your resume shows future employers you’re prepared to join their corporate environment as you’ve already worked in a similar one before. Internships also help you discover what kind of company, corporate environment and career path you do/don’t want to pursue. Lastly, the job process is very competitive and timely, so you need to be fully dedicated and committed to the search in order to begin the start of your successful and fulfilling career.”