Students Host Halloween Dance for Individuals with Disabilities

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 27, 2016 – There were no tricks, but a lot of treats at the Special Populations Halloween Dance on Oct. 25. Organized by High Point University’s Student Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), individuals with disabilities dressed in costumes and enjoyed a community dance at the Morehead Recreation Center.

High Point Parks and Recreation, members of HPU’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity and Wheatmore High School students co-hosted the event with the CEC. Participants and their family members enjoyed games, dancing, crafts and food in Halloween-themed rooms.

“My daughter is 32 and she’s been coming for years,” said Roger Corriher, father to a participant. “It’s a way for her to have some social activity and she looks forward to it every year. It really enhances her life and we are grateful for that.”

Leesa Dabbs, an HPU cafeteria worker, attended both last year’s and this year’s events. She said the night is one she looks forward to.

“This is my favorite event to take part in because I get to see all of the HPU students outside of work,” she said. “It’s a chance for me to see them and have fun with them.”

“The dance was a huge success thanks to all of the volunteers,” said Christina Honeycutt, HPU student and organizer of the event. “Everyone entered with smiles on their faces and left the same way! Seeing everyone celebrating each other and have a genuinely good time is something I think we all cherish. It will surely be talked about for nights to come.”