Design Students Receive ‘Rising Star’

Samantha Davis presents examples of her work at the IFDA celebration dinner.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 14, 2016 – Two High Point University students have received recognition from the International Furniture Design Association (IFDA) with the “Rising Star” award. This award honors a student from each of the 11 design programs at colleges across the Carolinas.

Seniors Samantha Davis and Hannah Rowell were nominated by HPU faculty for being the top students and up-and-coming designers in their program. As part of their award, they attended an IFDA celebration dinner at the High Point Country Club on Nov. 9, where they presented examples of their work.

Davis, an interior design major from Edgewater Park, New Jersey, says that in the near future she hopes to utilize her skills and passions for both interior design and nonprofit leadership to make an impact on someone’s life.

“My hope is to utilize design to create a world where every person, no matter where they come from, is able to have an environment that reflects them and is inspiring,” says Davis. “At the awards dinner I had the opportunity to brush shoulders with individuals from our industry who have been accomplishing this for years. Amidst that, knowing I was one of the people being honored was beyond humbling.”

Hannah Rowell presents a 3D rendering and examples of her work during the celebration dinner.

Rowell, a visual merchandising design major, says she hopes to start her career with a home furnishings company working with either retail or showroom visual merchandising.

“The IFDA award dinner truly uplifted my spirits and confirmed that my hard work is paying off,” says Rowell. “It was exciting to show my work to people who are on the path that I’m looking forward to being on and reconnecting with people like Mark Phillips who inspire my journey.”

During the awards dinner, industry expert Phillips and his family were also honored as for the Phillips Collection, a home furnishings company based in High Point.

“I’m so proud of Samantha and Hannah’s efforts and dedication to their design-work,” said Dr. Jane Nichols, HPU professor and chair of the Department of Home Furnishings. “They are recognized as Rising Star Luminaries because they truly put their hearts, minds and souls into their craft, and it radiates!”