HPU Awards Peterson Scholarship to Junior Sales Major

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 28, 2016 – High Point University junior Lauren Sanchez, a sales major with a concentration in furniture and a visual merchandising minor from Silver Spring, Maryland, is the recipient of the Bill and Bonnie Peterson Endowed Scholarship.

The scholarship is awarded to students in the HPU School of Art and Design who are visual merchandising or interior design majors pursuing a career in the home furnishings industry.

Established in 2001, the scholarship is named for Wilbert “Bill” Peterson, cofounder of Furniture | Today, and his wife, Bonnie. Peterson was highly regarded for his integrity, understanding of the home furnishings industry and contributions through journalism. During his career, he received many industry honors, including the Pillar of the Industry Award, the Distinguished Home Furnishings Journalism Award, and was inducted into the Furniture Writers Hall of Fame.

Sanchez hopes to become a furniture company representative and to one day own and manage her own showroom. She says that the scholarship and her coursework at HPU are helping her prepare for her future.

“Everything I’ve learned in both my studio and marketing classes has not only taught me to be a designer, but a well-rounded worker, and I couldn’t be happier to be doing what I’m doing,” said Sanchez. “This scholarship is not only allowing me to pursue my passion economically, but it’s an affirmation of all my hard work.”