Class of 2017 Profile: Hailey Parry Works Toward Doctorate

Hailey Parry

Name: Hailey Parry

Hometown: Stamford, Connecticut

Major: Parry will graduate with a B.S. in Exercise Science, with a concentration in Exercise Physiology, and a B.S. in Chemistry on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Parry will pursue her doctoral degree in Exercise Physiology at Auburn University’s School of Kinesiology in Auburn, Alabama.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU offers undergraduate research, which opened my eyes to what I wanted to do after graduation. I got involved with undergraduate research when I was a sophomore and was part of research involving both biomechanics and molecular physiology. I found my passion for molecular physiology through research with Dr. Kyle Sunderland. Thanks to his mentorship, as well as Dr. Kevin Ford who supervised my biomechanics research, I have gone to a number of regional and national conferences for the American College of Sports Medicine. The research at HPU gave me an edge when applying to graduate school by offering me the ability to learn laboratory techniques that are current in the scientific literature. Additionally, going to conferences gave me the ability to network with graduate schools. This provided me the opportunity to stay in touch with different universities as well as set up tours of the schools, all of which contributed to my acceptance into Auburn University.

My professors have been the best help to guide me towards a career. They were the ones who first suggested I be a tutor which has contributed to learning about how much I enjoy passing knowledge on to others. Additionally, they have helped me write abstracts and research articles, both of which are incredibly important when applying to conferences as well as starting a career in science. Lastly, my professors have also helped me work on presenting my research, which has been important when I have presented posters at the regional and national conferences for the American College of Sports Medicine.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have had many professors who have impacted me profoundly at HPU. Each of my professors helped shape my college career and who I am as a student. The one who has impacted me the most is Dr. Kyle Sunderland. He was the professor who introduced me to physiology. He was also the professor who introduced me to molecular physiology. I remember sitting in my physiology class freshman year thinking how I didn’t want the class to end because the information fascinated me so much. I have done research under Dr. Sunderland for two years and I have learned so much more than I could have ever imagined. He has pushed my limits and has helped me become a better scientist. Dr. Sunderland has also become a professor I have been able to turn to for life as well as school. There have been times I have just sat in his office to talk about life and how the day is going. I can honestly say that because of him, and the other professors who have impacted my education, I have become a better student, a better person, and a better scientist.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My whole experience at HPU has been impactful. I can think of multiple events throughout my time at HPU that has made my experience special. Coming into college I always felt a little different. I was interested in science, and didn’t have many friends who could relate to that. At HPU, I met friends who understood me from my hobbies of dancing and my enjoyment of school. My best friend at HPU I met in my calculus class fall semester freshman year. We studied together and became closer and closer as the years went on. Next thing I knew we were spending late nights studying organic chemistry and laughing over science jokes. I found a sisterhood in Alpha Delta Theta that helped make me feel like I was apart of a larger group. My sisters are a family, a group I have always been able to turn to and who have always understood me regardless of our similarities or differences. The professors at HPU have encouraged my curiosity and pushed my limits. I found comfort in individuals who enjoyed science just as much as I did, and who could help guide me on my most stressful days when I had to juggle all my commitments and assignments. My professors at HPU were the adults who continue to raise me up and challenge me to learn something new about myself I never knew before. Everyday I have been at HPU has been impactful. I’m not sure there is just one moment. They all have shaped me. They all have brought me to where I am today and helped prepare me for the next phase of my life.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to say ‘I’ll meet you there.’ Sometimes it can be difficult to be the person who doesn’t want to go out for the night. It is just as challenging to juggle a social life with being academically successful. It is possible though. Spend the extra hour organizing your planner and reviewing your notes before a Friday night of fun. You shouldn’t have to sacrifice one for the other. The experiences you have with friends are just as important as what you learn from a textbook. But, if you want to really work for your end goal, be sure to finish the academics before you go socialize. Be productive and time efficient. College is exciting and adventurous, but be sure to remember why you are at college. This is the start to the rest of your life. Spend the four years wisely. Oh, and remember, a good night’s rest before an exam is much better than studying till 3am for an 8am exam.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.