Class of 2017 Profile: Jamison Orr Launches Sales Executive Career

Jamison Orr

Name: Jamison Orr

Hometown: Falmouth, Massachusetts

Major: Orr will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with minors in Sales and Marketing, on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Orr accepted a position as a Sales Executive with Star Asia International, a third-party international logistics company, in Charlotte, North Carolina. In his position, Orr will continue to build his own book of business by selling the company’s services.

How HPU helped you get there: “I have had an internship each year at HPU: first with the Triad Business Journal for two years, and then with Star Asia for two. Each year, I have been able to juggle school and work perfectly, and part of that is because my classes and this education is structured around holistic learning. HPU supports my ability to work in the real world while in school because of how beneficial it is to getting a job after college. Nothing prepares someone more than actual work experience.

I used Career & Professional Development my freshman and sophomore years to help apply to the TBJ internship, in which I received for two years. Both times, I received help with my resume, cover letter and general professionalism to adapt to the workplace.

Now with my current job, I recommend my local Triad clients to reach out to Career and Professional Development to build jobs and internships for my classmates.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn has mentored me for three years through selling classes and even into my Presidency with PSB Selling Club. Together, we drove the Selling Club to some of its most successful years as an organization and benefited each other along the way. Professor Quinn is not only a mentor who has helped me adapt my own selling techniques and work ethic, but he is also a long-time friend.

I would also like to include Akir Khan, my freshman year success coach. He helped me from day one to get my first two internships with the Triad Business Journal. Akir saw my potential as a hard worker and also listened to my ambition to get into the workforce early. It was a pleasure having him by my side to help me start my career at HPU.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Becoming President of PSB Selling Club and being the Founder of HPU Toastmasters. The fact that I was able to do both, while also work and maintain a great GPA in school, have to combine to be the most impactful moment. The support I found through all the professors and mentors at this school allowed me to do all of this and point me in the right direction. All I wanted to do was pay it forward for when I graduated and I feel as if I am able to do just that.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Always look forward and never back. Make sure to operate a strong time management ability in your schedule in order to find success and not burn out. And remember to take up after the Taiwanese work ethic: Work hard and party harder. There is nothing more important than celebrating the completion of goals.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.