Class of 2017 Profile: Katie Aitkens Provides Insurance Services

Katie Aitkens

Name: Katie Aitkens

Hometown: West Long Branch, New Jersey

Major: Aitkens will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with minors in Sales and Marketing, on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Aitkens accepted a position as an Underwriter Trainee at Selective Insurance in Hamilton, New Jersey. In her position, Aitkens will administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations. She will also learn to review an agent’s book of business and techniques to provide service and guidance to agents.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has offered an endless amount of resources to prepare me for post graduation. This school not only gave me academic resources, but social and professional ones as well. Not every school teaches you how to interview and develop real life skills in the workplace like High Point has. High Point University gave me the confidence I needed to pursue a career and push towards success. Through many of my classes, I was guided by speakers or projects that prepared me for the real world.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at High Point University is easily Professor Randy Moser. My biggest regret is not having taken a class with Professor Moser earlier in my years at High Point. Professor Moser has taught me lessons that no textbook could even come close to. He is constantly checking in on his students and making sure we are all on track with our lives. He is truly a mentor to me and many other students on this campus.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was at the end of my fall semester senior year. Before leaving our last negotiations class, Professor Larry Quinn stopped us and asked us one question: ‘How many of you do not have jobs yet?’ As a senior, this was the worst question to be asked, but a majority of the class raised their hands. At this moment, Professor Quinn said, ‘Next semester I will meet with each of you individually once a week, and I promise you will have two job offers by spring break.’ Hearing this was not only comforting but surprising. One would think on the last day of class, the professor is ready to start their break just as much as the students are. Professor Quinn made that promise not only for us to feel we have support, but also to motivate us for our final semester. High Point differentiates themselves because they do not just focus on the four years we pay tuition; they make sure we succeed after graduation as well. It’s moments like this that show me how different HPU is compared to other universities.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to ask your professors for help. At High Point we are given so many great professors with a lot of experience. I didn’t take advantage of their advice until later in my college life. Looking back, I know there were so many opportunities to help me in my future.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.