Class of 2017 Profile: Kayla Griffith Lands Job with RSM US

Kayla Griffith

Name: Kayla Griffith

Hometown: Smithsburg, Maryland

Major: Griffith will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting, with a minor in Finance, on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Griffith accepted a position as an Assurance Associate at RSM US LLP, an audit, tax and consulting firm in Frederick, Maryland. In her position, Griffith will audit clients, work one-on-one with senior management and executives and learn more about the examination and review of financial statement compliance. 

How HPU helped you get there: “If there is one thing that HPU has done for me, it’s that they have challenged me to take hold of what I want and to completely go for it. The courses in my major and minor have challenged me to really expand my intelligence and to truly be a critical thinker. The confidence that I have found in myself to work hard and strive for the best has been my biggest takeaway from HPU, and I’m truly grateful for that.

I used the career services at High Point to review my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. They are amazing at what they do; I was completely impressed by their knowledge and approach to these areas and what employers were looking for. There were things that I had no idea about, but I’m glad I know now. I feel confident that I’m going out into the real world with a solid resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile and am so thankful for that opportunity at HPU. It’s a great aspect of the school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The accounting professor, Scott Davis, has definitely made the greatest impact on me during my time at HPU. I began my accounting major path with him and will be ending with him as well, and I’m really grateful for that. He challenges you to think outside the box and to make choices that will ultimately put you in the lead. I think that he uses a tough love technique to get his students to want to reach their full potential because they choose to do so, not because anyone else is making them. He has taught me that I am responsible for my actions and my work ethic, and that I will be the one to further myself in all that I do.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “This is a hard question because of what HPU has to offer each of their students. The amount of opportunities that have been provided here go on and on. However, if there was a moment I had to choose, it would be having the chance to make a difference in the society that we live in. I helped prepare free income tax returns for the community through a program called VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance), and was recognized at a High Point City Council meeting for it. It was such an amazing experience to meet those who live around us and do something for them that gives them a break. That program reminded me to be thankful for all that I’ve been given and has had a great impact on me during my past four years.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t wait; make a choice the first time it comes to your mind. If you see a club that looks interesting, then go for it. If there’s an opportunity to go network and build your connections, then do it! College goes by too fast and you don’t want to have a long list of regrets. Get yourself out there, be known and be good at what you want to do because hard work will always pay off. I would also recommend to plan earlier and get yourself on the right track before it’s too late. If there’s a licensure requirement for your major, then find out the details and create a plan that will get you there sooner so you can take advantage of it faster.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.