Class of 2017 Profile: Sam Brown Goes to Grad School

Name: Sam Brown

Hometown: Basking Ridge, New Jersey

Major: Brown will graduate with a B.S. in Exercise Science, with a concentration in Health and Wellness, on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Brown will pursue graduate school at Rutgers University’s Physician Assistant Program in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

How HPU helped you get there: “When I started my education here at HPU, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my future. I spent the first semester trying to find a major I felt connected to and passionate about. Within my first semester I was able to find that connection within exercise science. I was then able to discover more specifically which subjects I was most interested in. High Point University helped spark my interest in the medical field. Once I discovered my dream of wanting to become a physician assistant, HPU further aided me in preparing me to be successful in chasing that dream. My success as a student here was possible not only because of my hard work and determination, but because of the professors who wanted to see me succeed and were more than willing to help along the way.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is my coach, Lyndsey Boswell. My entire experience as a Division I lacrosse player has impacted my life in such a positive way, but coach Boswell really taught me that getting what you want comes from working hard and never giving up. She also taught me that when you’re faced with adversity, you need to be mentally tough enough to not let that get in the way of your success. I have grown so much as a person being a part of the women’s lacrosse team here at HPU, and am forever grateful for all of the lessons I have learned along the way.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was winning the Big South Championship my freshman year. Even though this happened early in my college career, it was a perfect example of how hard work and discipline can pay off in a huge and rewarding way. This moment is what has driven me to work hard every day at not only the sport that I play, but my academics as well. You can’t win a championship on luck and hoping that it’s going to happen; you have to give everything you have in order to reach that goal. And that is exactly how I chose to work as a student as well, once I decided that I wanted to go to grad school to become a physician assistant. I really think that being an athlete in a successful program has shaped me to work hard for what I want and trust that if I really give something my all, then success is bound to come of it.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Always go through life with an open mind and be willing to try new things, especially if you are unsure of the path you want to take after college. Even doing things you might not want to be doing could lead you to your passion. You never know when that moment of clarity is going to come for yourself, so take every opportunity you are given and give it 100 percent.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.