Class of 2017 Profile: DJ Johnson Forges Her Own Future

Diamond DJ Johnson

Name: DJ Johnson

Hometown: Indian Trail, North Carolina

Major: Johnson will graduate with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Electronic Media Production, on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Johnson will pursue a career as a CEO and Producer at K.O. Productions Media, her own film and multimedia production company in Charlotte, North Carolina. Johnson founded K.O. Productions Media in June 2013 to raise a generation of creative, young entrepreneurs and bring “knockout” film, music, television and radio content to the media industry.

How HPU helped you get there: “With HPU’s immersive platform in the Communication Department, I was able to get hands-on experience behind professional broadcast cameras and directing. These experiences helped me implement in-class exercises outside of class. Now, my production company, thanks to High Point University, has been able to develop five new clients and produce 10+ production requests ranging from commercials to music production.

I primarily used Career and Professional Development to enhance the quality of my LinkedIn Profile. I never knew LinkedIn was so useful until I started getting job offers. Thanks to HPU’s Career and Professional Development, I have been able to update my LinkedIn Profile and create my company’s website to showcase more of my recent works.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Joe Michaels has been absolutely incredible. He has given such impactful advice about how to get into the film and media industry. Thank you, Professor Michaels, for teaching me so much for pushing me to produce high-quality, creative films for my business!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “September of 2015 was the most difficult time of my life. My mom passed away of cancer. Thanks to High Point University’s faculty and on-campus pastor, they helped me cope with depression and stress. I was able to go back to my classes the rest of the semester filled with joy and laughter.”

Advice for underclassmen: Choose the major that fits with what you love to do. I love to be a part of the film and media industry because I grew up in that industry. My passion is to produce my own film and music. By choosing Electronic Media as my major, I was able to enjoy all of my classes. I also took what I learned in class and applied it to my production business. With that said, choose the major/minor you love. If you are multi-talented and passioned about your multiple talents, then double major! Your college experience will be ten times more fun when you do what you love.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.