Class of 2017 Profile: Dorothy Hinders Sets her Sights on Sales

Name: Dorothy Hinders

Hometown: Williamsburg, Virginia

Major: Hinders will graduate with a degree in Business Administration and a minor in Sales on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Hinders accepted a position as an Employee Benefits Sales Trainee at Mutual of Omaha in Houston, Texas. In her position, Hinders will be a sales trainee working with a mentor to learn the ins and outs of the business. She will be meeting and building relationships with brokers while providing group insurance and employee benefits to their clients.     

How HPU helped you get there: “The sales program lead by Larry Quinn and Randy Moser is absolutely amazing. The classes gave me the tools I need to find success and build self-confidence. And, I had the opportunity to meet with potential employers, which is how I landed my internship with Ashley Furniture and now my job with Mutual of Omaha.

I also met with the Career and Professional Development team to help build my resume. They were able to help me represent myself and my accomplishments in a way that stands out from the crowd.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Larry Quinn is hands down the most impactful mentor. From the first day that I walked into my class with Quinn during my junior year, he changed my life. I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true. I would not be where I am today without the help and guidance of Larry Quinn.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “In the spring of my junior year, I met a man named Gene Lunger who worked for Ashley Furniture. Long story short, I ended up interning with Ashley Furniture during the summer of 2016 and became the top-selling intern. My time at Ashley confirmed that I was on the right path and gave me unique perspective that I know will help me during my career with Mutual of Omaha.”

Advice for underclassmen: “At the end of an interview ask ‘What concerns do you have for placing me in this role at this time?’ That way, you will at least have some idea about where you stand.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.