Class of 2017 Outcomes: Kayla Ricks Accepts Accounting Position

Name: Kayla Ricks

Hometown: Abingdon, Maryland

Major: Ricks will graduate with a degree in Accounting and a minor in Spanish on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Ricks has accepted a position with Ernst & Young, LLP in Baltimore, Maryland. As a staff 1 assurance associate, Ricks will be auditing different clients to ensure the accuracy of their financial statements. Also, as an auditor, she will be identifying audit risks, obtaining evidence, confirming client information and ensuring that clients are complying to internal control procedures. In her role, Ricks will be contributing to Ernst & Young’s goal of “building a better working world.” 

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped shape me into a young business professional who’s ready to explore whatever is thrown my way. HPU has so many opportunities available for students and countless ways to participate on campus. I have learned so much in my four years of college, and I have my professors, my parents and HPU to thank for that. I would especially like to give a shout-out to my counselor Amber Kelley for helping me realize that I can do anything I set my mind to and that anxiety is not a burden that can stop me.

Also, I used Career and Professional Development Services to review my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. The staff who work in this department are genuine and extremely helpful in the sense that they truly want to help you and prepare you to succeed in the future.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had numerous impactful mentors at HPU, including all of the accounting professors. Although there were days that accounting was not my favorite thing to do and hard to look forward to, the professors always pushed me. They saw potential in me that I didn’t know I even had. I am extremely grateful for Mr. Noxon, Dr. Sundaram, Dr. Roberts, and Mr. Davis for encouraging my classmates and me to keep pushing through some of the hardest times of accounting.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Seminars with Dr. Qubein made up some of my most impactful moments. What other school has their president teach a course to both freshman and seniors? What other school has their president hand out candy bars on Valentine’s Day and Halloween? He is so prominent on campus and I think that is truly amazing. Other moments include the friends I have made here and the opportunities that HPU has given me. HPU has truly been my home away from home, and I am grateful to have had four years here.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be open-minded about your future. You don’t need to have everything in your life planned out, but make sure to take the opportunities that are provided and network so you can set yourself up for a success after graduation. You never know which people around you might be able to help you get a job or be a good friend in the future. Work hard, but make sure to have fun.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.