HPU Fulbright Will Study the Economics of Renewable Energy in Germany

Fulbright

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 28, 2017 – Liz Reichart, a member of High Point University’s class of 2017, has been awarded a Fulbright U.S. Student Program grant. This prestigious award, given by the U.S. Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, will send Reichart to Bonn, Germany to study the economics of renewable energy.

A Hudson, Ohio native, Reichart will graduate from HPU on May 6 with degrees in international business and graphic design. In mid-September she will head to Germany to study and conduct her research for one year. As part of her research award, Reichart will write five web articles for the U.S. Sustainability Alliance that chronicle her findings in Germany.

She is one of over 1,900 U.S. citizens who will teach, conduct research and provide expertise abroad for the 2017-2018 academic year. Recipients of Fulbright awards are selected on the basis of academic and professional achievement, as well as record of service and demonstrated leadership in their respective fields.

“High Point University could not be prouder of Liz,” says Dr. Meredith Malburne-Wade, director of HPU’s newly created Office of Fellowships and Awards. “Her Fulbright research proposal was a labor of love—one that reflects the culmination of her time at HPU, including coursework, internships, language study, faculty mentorship, professional interests and extracurricular activities. Her project—which is timely, crucial and necessary—reminds us as a community of the purpose of scholarship and education.” 

FulbrightReichart’s project was inspired by her intended career path and her passion for journalism, economics, environmental studies and foreign cultures. She plans to become an international professional in sustainability, whether it be an environmental lawyer, a Foreign Service member or an international development expert.

“There is an enormous amount of work to be done in the search for sustainable solutions and the fiduciary measures that support them,” says Reichart. “This project came out of the urgent nature of this topic and the innovative answers that only cultural exchange can provide. My hope is that if Germany can create a complex economy based on renewable energy, applicable solutions exist for the United States.”

Reichart says she’s grateful for the chance to contribute impactful research to the world.

“The opportunity to conduct independent research abroad will be a formative one,” she says. “However, my research is about so much more than me. The goal of the Fulbright Program is to aid cultural exchange and understanding, and this is what I am looking forward to the most. I hope to bring cultural understanding of environmental economics through my studies, in addition to serving as a cultural ambassador to the United States.”

The road to acceptance into the Fulbright program is long and tedious, requiring dedication and focus. Reichart says that she couldn’t have done it without the help of an HPU mentor.

“I truly could not have won this grant without the guidance of Dr. Malburne-Wade. She directed my application in a way that was always authentic to who I am as a student and future researcher. She challenged me at every turn to create a more impactful Fulbright project, and her pointed feedback was the backbone of my progress. She is the kind of mentor I hope every student gets an opportunity to work with in their lifetime, and I am indebted to her and her kindness.”

The Fulbright Program is a flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government that provides participants – chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential – with the opportunity to study, teach, conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns.

Last year, HPU’s Hannah Bailey, a member of the class of 2016, received a 2016-2017 Fulbright grant that sent her to Bosnia to implement a social reconciliation project using photography.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is administered at High Point University through the Office of Fellowships and Awards. For more information about the Fulbright Program, visit http://eca.state.gov/fulbright.