Class of 2017 Profile: Kristen Schapowal will Pursue Masters Degree at George Washington University

Name: Kristen Schapowal

Hometown: Hicksville, New York

Major: Schapowal will graduate with degrees in International Relations and History on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Schapowal will attend George Washington University’s Elliot School of International Affairs and pursue her masters in Middle East Studies.

How HPU helped you get there: “From the moment I stepped on campus, High Point University has provided me with numerous tools to excel in both the classroom and the real world. My professors have shown me just how knowledgeable I am in my field of study and have constantly been there to support me throughout my three and a half years spent at HPU. I was given the chance to travel across the country through a maymester, become involved with the community through sorority philanthropy events, and even land a dream internship in Washington, D.C. through the Washington Center. Each experience that I’ve had has shaped me into the person I am today.  

I also utilized the Career and Professional Development Department throughout my junior and senior year at HPU. I set up appointments with Elizabeth Walker to help craft the perfect statement of interest for my graduate school applications and also met with other department members to develop a professional resumé when it came time to apply for internships.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I can’t just name just one impactful mentor that I had at HPU– there were dozens of professors who saw potential in me and helped me to achieve my goals of graduate school. I am extremely grateful to Professor Ouakrim and Dr. Simpson for introducing me to the culture, language and history of the Middle East, and to the rest of the history, international relations, and political science departments for teaching me numerous life lessons and the skills needed to excel in my masters program at George Washington University.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Submitting my senior thesis for my history major was definitely one of the most impactful moments for me. I had worked diligently the entire semester on a topic I was passionate about, the Iranian hostage crisis of 1979, and to finally put it all together and have it submitted for review was such an accomplishment. All of my hard work had finally paid off.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t let setbacks get in the way of achieving your goals– you may be rejected from your “dream” school or job, and that’s okay. You never know what life has planned for you, that rejection could just mean you are one step closer to finding your true purpose in life!”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.