Class of 2017 Profile: Parker Ramsey Takes Tech Talents to Duke Energy as IT Associate

Name: Parker Ramsey

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Ramsey will graduate with degrees in Computer Science and Philosophy on May 6. 

Post-graduation plans: Ramsey will begin his career with Duke Energy as an IT associate. He will join the IT Associates Program – Duke Energy’s premier leadership and technical development program for high potential new college graduates seeking a career in a variety of IT functions.  The program is designed to be a talent pipeline for future leaders in IT. The program is a three year rotational program and assignments during rotations include IT Operations, Applications and Governance with optional rotations into other areas of the company.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has provided me with a fantastic environment to expand my ability to not only communicate with others, but to truly explore my potential as a leader and innovator. HPU has given me numerous opportunities to present new ideas and grow as an individual in regards to my confidence and potential. Through all of this, HPU has given me the skills and mindset necessary to achieve my goals.

I was able to greatly improve the quality of my resume by spending time with members of Career and Professional Development Services. This newly renovated resume has helped me not only with my current job, but has also prepared me for creating an awesome resume in the future. ” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was an upperclassmen in the computer science department named Reza Moghtaderi who showed me what it truly meant to be an innovator and achiever. Reza’s indomitable spirit and love for learning inspired me to work hard and explore what I could do to improve the lives of people around me with the skills I learned at HPU. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Meeting Steve Wozniak. I, along with a small group of students, was able to have a brief meeting with our new “Innovator in Residence.” I was truly inspired by not only his presence, but also by the advice and words of encouragement that he gave us. That meeting helped to solidify my love for innovation and technical discovery.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to get involved in clubs and activities that you know nothing about. There are so many fantastic opportunities to expand your horizons and enrich your mindset. You never know what you might be great at!”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.