HPU Senior Receives 2017 Haverty Cup

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 20, 2017 – Hannah Rowell, a senior at High Point University, was honored today as the 2017 recipient of the Haverty Cup.

The Haverty Cup was established in 1988 by the late Rawson Haverty to honor annually an outstanding graduating senior in a home furnishings-related programs at HPU. This tribute was created to encourage students to pursue a career in the home furnishings industry.

Rowell was presented the award on campus by Havertys’ Steve Burdette, executive vice president, stores, and Scott Miles, vice president stores and western regional manager. Rowell received $2,500, her name engraved on the base of the Haverty Cup on permanent display in the library of Norton Hall on the HPU campus, and a personal replica of the Haverty Cup.

Rowell has proven herself to be an outstanding student at HPU by earning a 3.88 GPA with a major in visual merchandising and design and a minor in marketing. She has served as president of the HPU Entrepreneurship Club, is a member of The National Society of Leadership and Success and has worked as a resident assistant for the Office of Student Life. Last fall, she was honored by the International Furniture Design Association (IFDA) with the “Rising Star” award. This award is presented to a student from each of the 11 design programs at colleges across the Carolinas.

Experiential learning opportunities that HPU offers students in the home furnishings industry have also prepared Rowell to launch a meaningful career. At the High Point Market, she has worked as a merchandising and marketing intern with industry veteran Jena Hall and at the Antique & Design Center. She is also a student member of WITHIT – Women’s Leadership Development Network.

“I am overjoyed and thankful to be receiving this honor and excited to see where my career will go next,” says Rowell. “I appreciate all the professors, mentors and employers who have gotten me to where I am now and can’t thank them enough for the impact they have had on my college experience. As I prepare to receive my degree, I look back at my years as a student at HPU and am grateful for the school I now call home.”

Havertys is a full-service home furnishings retailer with over 120 showrooms in over 80 cities across 16 states in the Southern and Midwestern regions. Founded in 1885, Havertys is a true retailing institution. The company provides its customers with a wide selection of quality merchandise in middle to upper-middle price ranges. Additional information is available on the company’s website, www.havertys.com.