Class of 2017 Profile: Chris Stone Designs and Sells for Tom James

Name: Chris Stone

Hometown: Fanwood, New Jersey

Major: Stone graduated with a major in Business Administration and a minor in Marketing on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Stone accepted a position as a Professional Clothier with Tom James in New York, New York. In his position, he will design and sell custom suits. From gathering clientele and collecting measurements, to guiding clients in terms of design and following up to make minor adjustments to their garment once it has arrived, Stone will lead the process of creating a custom suit.

How HPU helped you get there: “Receiving a business education from HPU helped me gain valuable real world experience. In my Marketing Management course, with Dr. Moser, we were given the opportunity to work with real companies as marketing and sales consultants, in return these companies gave my classmates and I advice and feedback on how to best market ourselves in the ever-changing job market. Additionally, this opportunity gave me experience in public speaking, strategy development and provided me with invaluable industry connections.

Without HPU’s semesterly Sales Career Fair and the connections they provide students, I would have never met the recruiter from Tom James. Thanks to the abundance of career development opportunities that are presented to students I was able to make an educated choice as to where I wanted to work after graduation.

Leading up to my final interviews with Tom James, I consistently worked with my career advisor in Career and Professional Development Services, Bridget Holcombe, who was able to calm my nerves and work with me to craft answers to the questions I felt anxious answering. Additionally, she assisted me in polishing my resume, preparing me for business travel and encouraging me to use what I have learned while at HPU.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Randy Moser was by far my greatest mentor at HPU! While I have only known him for a short time, he has consistently demonstrated how invested he is in his students by assisting them in reaching success both in and outside of the classroom. A great example of this is how he began class on the very first day of the semester by personally introducing himself to each student as asking them what their career goals were. Once he learned this information he handcrafted methods and techniques in which each student could use to achieve said goals. Additionally, he has made himself available to students as much as possible by offering extended office hours and career coaching sessions. While his intended course to teach is Marketing Management, he is always willing to offer advice on any business related topic and will go the extra mile to assist you with anything you need.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being able to participate in HPU in the City was by far the most impactful moment I have had while at HPU. Travleing to my dream city, of New York, and getting to interact with high level executives from top companies proved why HPU is so amazing. I distinctly remember walking into Fox News on Avenue of the Americas and thinking to myself, “wow, I could see myself dressing up every day and being a young professional in NYC”. For me this experience helped me grow my network of professionals while teaching me exactly what I needed to do to make myself appealing to the companies I wanted to work for.

Advice for underclassmen: “If there is one piece of advice I would give underclassmen it would be that they should absolutely use the campus resources that are provided to them. We are fortunate enough to attend a university that genuinely cares about the success of their students. By forming relationships with mentors in the offices of Career & Professional Development, Study Abroad, and Student Success, you can truly ensure that you are taking the right steps to help ensure success after graduation”

With yet another exciting and inspiring Commencement in the books, many members of High Point Univesrity Class of 2017 are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.