HPU Civitan Club Leader Earns Top Award

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 15, 2017 – Kayla Jones, a High Point University junior and strategic communication major from Cary, was named Campus Civitan of the Year for the second year in a row by Civitan International. The award, presented to the top Campus Civitan each year out of all campus clubs in Civitan International, recognizes her deep involvement in service and her work toward raising awareness of the organization.

Jones is president of the HPU Civitan Club and has served in leadership roles within the organization for three years. She has coordinated several service projects within the community, including a pancake fundraiser for Open Door Ministries’ CROP Hunger Walk, and is planning another large-scale service event for the fall. Jones also serves as a French tutor and is a member of Alpha Delta Theta Christian Service Sorority, French Club, Alpha Chi National Honor Society, Pi Delta Phi French Honor Society and the HPU Book Club.

“There really is no greater feeling than helping those in need, and I’m thankful that High Point University has given me opportunities to give back to my community,” Jones says. “I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t love to serve. I’m extremely grateful to be included.”

The efforts of Jones and her team members were also honored on campus this year. HPU’s Student Government Association selected the HPU Campus Civitan Club as Organization of the Year. In addition, the organization received the HPU Serves Showcase Award for “Excellence in Promoting Food Security” for their work on the CROP Hunger Walk.

“Kayla’s dedication to HPU Civitan and passion for service is amazing,” says Dr. Daniel Hall, assistant professor of economics and faculty adviser to the group. “Under her leadership as former vice president and now president, the club has received numerous honors and created positive impact in our community.”