Class of 2017 Profile: Meredith Matsakis

Name: Meredith Matsakis

Hometown: Asheville, North Carolina

Major: Matsakis will graduate with a degrees in Visual Merchandising Design and a minor in Theatre Performance on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Matsakis will begin her career at Design Works International in New York City as a visual and social content coordinator. She will join the company’s co-founder and creative director, Nancy Fire, who has worked to help companies update their brands, capitalize on emerging trends and develop new product lines for more than two decades. Fire is also the design director for both HGTV Home and Kelly Ripa Home.   

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get to where I am because of the institution’s ability to say “yes.” Along with the great facilities and knowledgeable faculty, HPU let me explore all of my passions from VMD to Theatre to Communications. If I had an idea for a project, or a way I could adapt something to make it more relevant to me, the answer was always, “yes, how can we make that happen?” That type of support is hard to find on a college campus and I am grateful for that mentality.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Cathy Nowicki. She really has stepped in and helped me throughout the past three years with internship and job searches. From cold calling companies I wanted to intern for, to writing handwritten thank you notes after an interview, she always knows the right thing to say. I have a lot to thank her for!”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen is to not be afraid to go for the big stuff. Just because you are a student, does not mean you are not an asset. Network, make the phone calls, ask for the interview. I know it can be intimidating, but the worst thing they can say is “no.” I recently read a news article that said that the smartest companies are hiring the youngest people that know what’s going on. Be that young person and show them what you’ve got.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.