SGA Donates $15,000 to Support Youth Food Summit

Food

Pictured from left to right are Carl Vierling, executive director of the Greater High Point Food Alliance; Karol Murks, GHPFA treasurer; Rachel Callaway, HPU’s 2016-17 Student Government Association president; and Dr. Joe Blosser, HPU’s Robert G. Culp director of service learning. HPU’s SGA donated $15,000 to support a Youth Food Summit, to be held by the GHPFA in June.

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 9, 2017 – High Point University’s Student Government Association has made a sizable gift to support a Youth Food Summit, which will bring together children and teens who are affected by food insecurity to develop ways to address the issue.

Rachel Callaway, SGA president, presented $15,000 to the Greater High Point Food Alliance during her last week of service before she graduated from HPU on May 6.

“I was blown away,” said Carl Vierling, executive director of the GHPFA, about the gift. “I think it’s fantastic how the university gives back. Sometimes when you’re in that situation struggling with hunger and you don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow, this gives you hope that people really do care about you and they’re willing to invest in you.”

“Growing up, I had multiple years where my family was food insecure,” says Callaway, a Simi Valley, California native. “When this initiative was brought to my attention by Carl and the Greater High Point Food Alliance, I knew that SGA members would want to help children in the area be able to thrive and learn.”

Vierling says the Youth Food Summit, to be held in June, will bring together about 200 children to discuss their personal struggles with food access and their ideas to solve those challenges.

“When Carl told me about the Youth Summit, I was very intrigued because I knew that from student to student, it would be a great way to make an impact and, for our seniors, do one last thing together,” Callaway adds.

This donation is one example of the many ways the HPU family frequently serves their community, including annually contributing more than 100,000 hours of service. For hunger specifically, the university also kicks off the United Way of Greater High Point’s Postal Food Drive each year, while students assist in local community gardens that produce fresh food and serve at after-school programs that provide food and nutritional lessons to local children.