Class of 2017 Outcomes: Ashley Hogan works Toward her Masters in Occupational Therapy

Name: Ashley Hogan

Hometown: Smithfield, Rhode Island

Major: Hogan graduated with a major Exercise Science and a minor in Psychology on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Hogan will pursue her masters in Occupational Therapy at New England Institute of Technology while also working as a medical scribe at University Emergency Medicine Foundation in Providence, Rhode Island. In her role as a medical scribe, Hogan is responsible for assisting the Emergency Department physicians in accurately documenting and transcribing patient encounters, including histories and physical exams. She works directly with the physicians to maximize efficiency and optimize patient throughput.

How HPU helped you get there: “I always knew that I’d like to pursue a career in healthcare, but it was my mentors and professors at HPU who helped me narrow it all down. Through the ups and down, all the lessons I have learned, and the incredible people I’ve interacted with I have now found my passion and the motivation I needed to succeed in this field. HPU provides you with countless resources and it’s up to you to utilize them. Everyone here is willing to help you no matter what it is or who you are. There is no reason why you can’t succeed after going here because this school is a world of resources. 

One example is Career Services. I met with members of that department several times throughout my time at HPU. Being an Exercise Science major, sometimes it’s hard to see career options for yourself after undergrad because most of us go on to graduate schools. Although I will be pursuing my Masters in Occupational Therapy at New England Institute of Technology, I knew I needed to find a job that would be flexible around my rigorous classes. They helped me find jobs like PT/OT aids and medical scribes and assisted me in creating an impressive resume that has clearly paid off.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Tony Kemerly has had an invaluable influence in my life over this past semester. I treasure every second I spend in his classroom because I learn so much from everything he says and shares with us. He has given me the resources to open up my mind and expand my thinking and has taught me how to be a powerful writer. His confidence in me has helped me to believe in myself more than ever and to consider opportunities for my future that I never would’ve imagined being interested in. He has helped me thrive through my best days and was supportive for me on some of my worst days. I am so thankful for all that he has done for me, which is far more than he realizes. Thank you, Dr. Kemerly.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “A little over a year ago, I was waiting outside my classroom before my class period. My professor, Dr. Dan Tarara, was sitting outside with me. I had always been pretty silent in his class, too shy to speak my mind and not confident enough with my thoughts to share them. He looked at me and told me, ‘You should use your voice more, you have a lot of great things to say.’ I have not stopped talking since. I don’t think he understands how much that moment mean to me. His words made me feel like I had purpose in a major where I had previously struggled greatly and looking at my grade trend, everything shifted for the better after that day.”

Advice for underclassmen: