Class of 2017 Outcomes: Emily Krol Lands Competitive Position at Lenovo

Name: Emily Krol

Hometown: Merrick, New York

Major: Krol graduated with a double major in Communication and Vocal Performance on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Krol heads to Morrisville, North Carolina to join Lenovo as an accelerated sales rotational (LASR) program associate. The highly competitive LASER program is a sales program that accepts 15 recent graduates to join their successful sales team. It includes an eight week training program and then Krol will complete sales rotations within the company’s diverse markets.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me the importance of transferable skills and greatly prepared me for the professional world. By the time I began interviewing for jobs, I had already attended multiple professional career fairs, performed in front of thousands of people, and become accustomed to High Point’s gorgeous state-of-the-art campus. After studying video game design and vocal performance, one might think that my career options are limited; however, High Point University taught me the significance of transferable skills and I was able to land an incredible job at the headquarters of the biggest PC company in the world. I was able to hold many leadership positions at HPU and discover my true potential as a student, a leader, and as a professional.

The Career & Professional Development center was also a critical part of my job search. Doug Hall was my Freshman Success Coach and ultimately my Career Advisor! He and I met on many occasions to create a striking resume that would stand out among the crowd, to amp up my LinkedIn profile, and to consider various job prospects. Doug Hall also helped me to market myself and hone in on my skills that would prove to be of value to any business.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “After beginning vocal studies under his direction while studying abroad in Prague, Dr. Scott MacLeod has by far become my most impactful mentor HPU. As a senior voice major, a requirement for graduation is giving an hour-long Senior Recital, in which the student performs an hour’s worth of classical music by memory, accompanied by piano. Dr. MacLeod prepared me greatly for this experience, as well as countless other life experiences and undergraduate challenges. He has helped me to discover my true potential as a singer, and has encouraged me to continue singing with various professional groups in Raleigh post-graduation. His door is always open for any of his students who need advice, a helping hand, or simply a laugh. Dr. MacLeod will remain my great friend and most influential mentor long after my graduation from HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was being elected Music Director of The Petal Points. The Petal Points are the all female a cappella group here at HPU and I have been a member since my freshman year. This group of women means the world to me, and being elected to lead the group was such an incredible honor. I taught and directed all of the music for the 2016-2017 school year. We have accomplished some pretty incredible things this year, including collecting cans for the Greater High Point Food Alliance at our annual Aca-toberfest concert, performing our final Spring Concert, and recording a CD which will be released this summer/early in the upcoming academic year. It has been such a fantastic opportunity to lead these lovely ladies in song and create meaningful music and lifelong memories.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize your resources at High Point University and take full advantage of everything that is offered to you. This campus is incredible and all of the faculty and staff is here to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, take risks, and put yourself out there. Work hard, dedicate yourself, and find your passions. You will be surprised at how much you can achieve!”