Class of 2017 Profile: Garr Goes to Grad School for Biomedical Visualization

biomedical

Name: Casey Garr

Hometown: Kintnersville, Pennsylvania

Major: Garr graduated on May 6 with a double major in biology, with a concentration in health science, and studio art.

Post-graduation plans: Garr will pursue a Master of Science in Biomedical Visualization at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the fall.

How HPU helped you get there: I have been offered so many amazing opportunities at HPU – working at the International Home Furnishings Market in downtown High Point, presenting undergraduate research at a conference in San Francisco, and traveling abroad to Spain for a semester, to name a few! I have been prepared inside and outside of the classroom through my experiences here, and I feel ready for this next step in my life. I have also had  helpful professors who have been very flexible with my schedule. Scheduling long labs and long studios for two majors can be tricky, so I am very lucky the faculty worked with me to make sure I was able to graduate with both a BS in Biology and a BA in Studio Art. 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: I have been so lucky to have so many amazing mentors at HPU.

In the Biology Department, Dr. Segarra and Dr. Sapp have been so supportive of me. I completed undergraduate research with Dr. Segarra and have taken several of Dr. Sapp’s classes. Both have gone above and beyond to help me throughout my college career. For example, when I told them about my graduate school interviews, I didn’t even have to ask – both professors immediately offered to complete mock interviews with me so that I felt prepared for the real deal.

In the Art Department, Professors Raynor, Brown and Shores have all contributed to my development as an artist. Their passion for art, combined with their ability to spread that passion to others, has truly peaked my interest to explore the many different facets of art and to improve my abilities as an artist. Thank you all for your guidance!

How the Career & Professional Development team helped you: During my junior year, I decided I wanted to complete a summer internship abroad in a field related to medical illustration. So, I made an appointment with the Career and Professional Development office. I met with a career advisor who helped me update my resume and LinkedIn account. I had decided I wanted to intern in Ireland, so my advisor helped me figure out who to contact, which was especially helpful since medical illustration is a very specific field. After reaching out to several different companies by email and through LinkedIn, I was offered a position with 3D4Medical in Dublin, Ireland. The company develops medical, educational, health and fitness apps. Working for 3D4Medical was such a meaningful experience that strengthened my desire to go into medical illustration and was particularly essential in preparing me for my future career.

Most impactful moment at HPU: One of my favorite memories at HPU is receiving a bid to Sigma Sigma Sigma! Through this organization I have been able to make amazing connections, help raise money for our philanthropies (March of Dimes and Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation), and grow as a person and a leader. I am so happy I made the decision to go through recruitment freshman year because the bonds I have made through Tri Sigma mean so much to me.

Another one of my most impactful and exciting moments at High Point was finding out that I was going to be a University Ambassador! Working for the Office of Admissions has given me awesome the opportunity to share my love of HPU with prospective students and their families.

Advice for underclassmen: Try to gain as much experience as possible. Even if you aren’t an art or interior design major, work at the High Point Furniture Market. Even if you are a science major, go study abroad. College is a time to explore all of your options, so make sure you take advantage of the many opportunities that High Point University has to offer. You never know where they will lead you!