Class of 2017 Outcomes: Jenna Irvin

Name: Jenna Irvin

Hometown: Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania

Major: Irvin graduated with a major in Communication with a concentration in Sport Management on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Irvin will put her business model to work as a Pure Barre franchise owner in the State College, Pennsylvania market. As a studio owner, she will oversee all the studio finances, operations marketing, scheduling, advertising, hiring, ordering retail inventory, managing her team, teaching barre classes, planning local co-market events, etc. The daily schedule of her job will vary greatly, but will be rooted in making strong community connections and wearing many different hats depending on the day.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me immensely. I was lucky to have had some of the most amazing professors, mentors, and success coaches and all of them have played a critical role in me being able to accomplish this dream. Professor Lillian Watson worked diligently with me on my business plan for Pure Barre and helped me prepare for my interview with the corporate team. Every faculty member at HPU, that I have had the pleasure of meeting, have went above and beyond to support, encourage, and believe in me. When you have that kind of support, it makes the step towards your dreams feel a lot less scary. High Point is also where I was introduced to Pure Barre. By teaching and taking class here at the High Point studio, I knew I wanted to be a part of this company and help positively impact others the way that the High Point studio has impacted me.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was my advisor, Dr. Jenny Lukow. She is also the head of the department for my major and has gone above and beyond for me. She helped me put together my plan so that I could complete my undergraduate degree in three years, she proofread my business plan for me, and she was always there to listen and help in anyway that she could. I was lucky enough to also have her as my professor for multiple classes and each class was challenging, fun, and full of great discussion that genuinely helped us become more educated and aware of the world we live in. There really are not enough good words to describe how great Dr. Lukow is and I appreciate her and all of her never-ending help and support so much!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “For one of my classes we were placed in a local elementary school one day a week to help with whatever was needed. I am not an education major and was just taking the class as an elective so instead of being placed in a classroom, I worked with the social worker and got to help with stocking food in their food bank and things of that nature. This whole experience for me was impactful in so many ways. Being able to do something that was genuinely making a difference for others in the community and seeing the smiles on the kids’ faces was priceless. I am forever grateful to HPU for that opportunity”

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest piece of advice for underclassmen is to use your resources. We are so lucky to go to a university like HPU where the resources are never-ending. Using these to your full advantage will benefit you in more ways than one as you prepare for life after college. The second piece of advice is just to believe in your dreams. No dream is too big and there is no better time than the present”