Class of 2017 Outcomes: Lauren Kelly Begins Accounting Career at Ernst & Young

ernst

Name: Lauren Kelly

Hometown: Glastonbury, Connecticut

Major: Kelly graduated on May 6 from the Phillips School of Business with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting.

Post-graduation plans: Ernst and Young in Baltimore has hired Kelly as a Staff 1 Assurance Associate. Kelly will be working with clients in both the public and private sectors to ensure their compliance with accounting policies and ultimately the accuracy of their financial statements.

“Through my work with Ernst & Young, I will further develop my professional skills to better serve our clients and build a better working world.”

How HPU helped you get there: HPU has helped me by providing a learning environment where I was challenged and encouraged to ask questions. In addition, I was held at a high standard in terms of expectations from my professors, which developed my drive, work ethic and confidence. Working as both an Accounts Receivable Analyst and a tutor for both Financial and Managerial Accounting has given me the opportunity to strengthen my communication skills while also strengthening my accounting background. 

Most impactful mentor at HPU:  All of my accounting professors have helped me immensely throughout my time at HPU. I would like to thank Professor George Noxon for his guidance in helping me secure a position at Ernst & Young and dispelling my fears about my future, Dr. Premalata Sundaram for boosting my confidence in my ability to succeed in accounting, Dr. Ross Roberts for challenging me in the classroom by making me think outside the box, and Professor Scott Davis for setting high expectations for me, knowing that I would put the work in to live up to them. 

How the Career & Professional Development team helped you: Career and Professional Development was a tremendous help while I was applying to accounting forms and beginning my interview processes. We reviewed how to go about answering the behavioral-type interview questions and dove into finding the best way to portray my strengths to my potential employers. 

Most impactful moment at HPU: My most impactful moment at HPU was the moment I received my job offer from Ernst and Young. It was in the middle of a stressful week, and receiving the call was a huge relief and took a weight off my shoulders. Throughout my four years at High Point, I committed to be an academically strong student, and when I received this call, I finally realized that all of my hard work had paid off. 

Advice for underclassmen: My advice to underclassmen is to routinely speak to your professors outside of the classroom, and not only about schoolwork. All the way through my senior year, I continued to say hello to the professors I had my freshman year of school. You never know what doors these connections may open for you and what kind of real world advice they can provide you.